It’s National Coffee Day! So basically, my Christmas. I woke up this morning totally craving a PSL – it’s been on my mind ever since I stopped in at Starbucks yesterday. I try not to get the PSL from Starbucks very often, as it contains a whopping 50g of sugar (uh, yep, more than a soda!). But I LOVE the taste and will indulge every once in a while.
Today, I didn’t have to! I made this healthy, much cheaper, sugar-free alternative at home. Actually, I woke up to discover to my horror that my parents had gone out of town without replenishing the coffee supplies. I don’t have a car, so this would normally be cause for alarm (I really love coffee, okay?), but luckily there happened to be a car in the driveway. I headed to the store and got my supplies.
This recipe contains coconut oil, which sounds a little scary, but trust me – like any saturated fat (cream, etc) it gives the coffee a thick, indulgent texture. It doesn’t taste oily or even coconut-y at all! Because of the healthy, whole fats in this recipe, it’ll keep you satiated and satisfied (unlike a sugar-filled version, which likely wouldn’t fill you up and would leave you craving more sugar).
There’s also almond milk in there, another source of healthy fat (and protein and calcium!). I normally HATE almond milk in coffee, but in this case, it was totally fine! I think the coconut oil added a thicker texture to the coffee that made up for the thinness of the almond milk.
In addition to the healthy fats of coconut oil, it’s sweetened with stevia. I don’t use stevia TOO often (no need to eat tons of sweet things that increase cravings!), but it’s a natural, zero-calorie sweetener that I think is just fine for indulgences.
If you have an espresso machine, this would probably be even yummier! I don’t have one, though, and plain old drip coffee was super delicious.
Healthy, Sugar-Free Pumpkin Spice Latte
- 1 large coffee cup filled with strong brewed coffee
- 1/8 cup almond milk, warmed on the stove (coconut milk would probably work well too!)
- 1 TBSP coconut oil (I used virgin unrefined)
- 1 TSP pumpkin spice extract
- 1-2 TSP stevia or other zero-calorie sweetener, depending on desired sweetness
- Nutmeg for topping
- Cinnamon for topping
- Whipped cream for topping (optional – leave this off to keep it vegan/dairy-free!)
- Add pumpkin spice extract to an empty coffee mug while almond milk is warming on the stove.
- Pour coffee into the mug, and top with warmed almond milk. It should be roughly 3/4 coffee and 1/4 almond milk.
- Stir in the coconut oil until completely dissolved. It’ll take a fair few seconds, but that’s totally ok.
- Stir in the stevia.
- Taste it! This is important. Adjust your pumpkin spice extract and stevia to your desired levels of flavor and sweetness.
- Top with whipped cream, if using, and sprinkle with cinnamon and nutmeg. Enjoy!
In case this post wasn’t basic enough, I thought I’d finish with a black-and-white photo of myself sipping the PSL:
Happy National Coffee Day everyone! <3